Optics Engineering Intern
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our growing R&D Engineering team is a mix of mechanical, systems, electrical, optics, and software engineers. We are the mad scientists that develop and improve Formlabs products. Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research and develop our next-generation printers and materials. We use engineering, physics, and experimentation to turn goop into beautiful and accurate parts.
Do you imagine how to make a complex optical system work better? Do you want to make something that hasn't been done before? We want you to join our team as an Optical Engineering Intern.
- Create new 3D printing paradigms using novel optical mechanisms and computing techniques - from developing new optical systems architectures to optimizing and validating galvanometer control algorithms
- Design and run your experiments to inform and develop improvements in software or hardware
- Tackle complex and open-ended problems across multiple engineering disciplines
- Evaluate current printer performance and identify areas for improvement
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to implement improvements to current products such as redesigning a support structure algorithm based on experimental results, or implementing a camera vision system
- A mix of software and hardware skills
- Can autonomously research, report results, and make recommendations for next steps
- Have experience with design of experiments (DOE) and data analysis
- Have experience working with sensors, actuators, electromechanical systems, and optical systems
- Understand programming and scientific computing, ideally Python or C++
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.