Systems Engineering Manager - Optics
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
The optical system is a core component of many Formlabs products. The designs balance high precision with an accessible cost point, and typically drives the performance of the overall product. Our optical system team works on the entire life cycle of the products they create - from the first whiteboard sketch to assembly at high volumes. To develop an optical system for Formlabs products requires a multidisciplinary engineering skill set which includes optics, electronics, thermal design, structural design, algorithms, and high speed firmware. We take a systems engineering approach and collaborate with engineers from departments across the company.
If you're looking to lead and develop a team of talented engineers as we create next-generation digital fabrication technology, then we want you as our Systems Engineering Manager - Optics.
- A player-coach who is able to effectively evaluate the trade space between customer value, technical performance, cost, and engineering effort as it relates to the optical system
- Deployment of team resources to meet the needs of the overall product development roadmap and ongoing support efforts
- Drive the optical system roadmap and long term strategy
- Develop strategic supplier relationships to harness enabling technology for our optical systems
- Be an effective people manager who provides technical guidance, project prioritization, and facilitates career growth for team members
- Interface with other functional leaders to develop world class products
- Piloted complex optical products through the entire product life cycle from concept to production
- Previous experience managing a team of engineers
- Experience and strong domain knowledge of optical systems
- Broad knowledge of different types of optical systems and components
- Able to communicate fluidly across technical domains
- Ready to lead in a fast-paced and high-growth environment
- Flexible vacation
- Premium healthcare coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.