Optical Engineering Intern
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our growing R&D Engineering team is a mix of mechanical, systems, electrical, optics, and software engineers. We are the mad scientists that develop and improve Formlabs products. Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research and develop our next-generation printers and materials. We use engineering, physics, and experimentation to turn goop into beautiful and accurate parts.
Do you imagine how to make a complex laser system work better? Do you want to make something that hasn't been done before? We want you to join our team as an Optical Engineering Intern.
- Create new 3D printing paradigms using novel optical mechanisms and computing techniques - from developing new optical systems architectures to optimizing and validating imaging systems control algorithms
- Provide optical modeling, analysis and support during system testing, validation and integration
- Conduct hands-on lab experiments to collect and analyze optical data
- Design experimental test setup to inform and develop improvements in software, hardware or manufacturing
- Tackle complex and open-ended problems across multiple engineering disciplines
- Evaluate current printer performance and identify areas for improvement
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to implement improvements to current products
- An enthusiastic student studying physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, or a similar degree who is interested in learning more about optics in a collaborative team of engineers and scientists.
- Have a mix of software and hardware skills
- Have effective communications skills, including technical writing
- Can autonomously research, report results, and make recommendations for next steps
- Have experience with design of experiments (DOE) and data analysis
- Have experience working with sensors, actuators, electromechanical systems, and optical systems
- Understand programming and scientific computing, ideally Python or C++
- Familiarity with optical design software and CAD software is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.