Industrial Design Lead
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring ground-breaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
The Industrial Design Lead is responsible for enabling accessible and productive experiences for our users and communicates the values of the brand through beautiful functional products. You will develop innovative products in collaboration with an interdisciplinary team of designers, engineers and scientists. Your work will strengthen and evolve the Formlabs design language to push our vision of manufacturing tools forward. If you are passionate about delivering great user experiences and building upon a tradition of innovative industrial design, we want you to join our team as the Industrial Design Lead.
Sharing a portfolio/website that reflects your work or projects is required.
- Strengthen and evolve the Formlabs design language
- Develop the design of products that lead the 3D printing industry in accessibility, performance and quality
- Deliver ID concepts, design documentation and part designs on a wide range of products
- Grow and develop a team of industrial designers and product oriented mechanical engineers
- Serve as design point of contact with stakeholders and internal/external partners
- Prototype continuously, from quick mockups to refined cosmetic models
- Collaborate closely with Product, UI Design, Engineering, Manufacturing to develop well-balanced solutions
- Create high quality CAD to communicate design intent
- Manage cosmetic specification and validation
- Can share a portfolio of relevant design work
- 4+ years of relevant professional experience
- Professional experience working as a mechanical engineer or working with engineers on technical problems
- Demonstrate fluency in design decision making and an eye for detail
- Able to communicate quickly and effectively with hand sketches
- Experience with 3D CAD such as Solidworks or Onshape
- Comfortable prototyping using a variety of tools and methods
- Experience with Keyshot, Adobe CC or other visualization tools
- Able to solve complex problems with engineering and manufacturability constraints
- Great presentation and storytelling skills
- Flexible vacation
- Premium healthcare coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.