Mechanical Engineer - R&D Team
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our growing R&D team is a mix of mechanical, systems, and software engineers. We are the team that develop and maintain the Formlabs printing process. Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research next generation printers and materials. We use engineering, physics, and experimentation to turn ideas into beautiful and accurate parts.
If you are a systems thinker who enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary environment we would love you to join our R&D team as a Mechanical Engineer.
Want to learn more about RD Engineering at Formlabs? Watch this short video from Timur Senguen, Validation Engineer
- Prototyping new technologies including electromechanical components and novel materials.
- Designing and documenting experiments to evaluate how mechanical forces and motion impact print performance.
- Develop a deep understanding of the mechanics of 3D printing and material properties.
- Operate across multiple disciplines, including software, electronics, optics, and materials.
- Perform data analysis and write scripts in Python to control printers and capture data for print experiments and debugging.
- Focus on building products that are cutting-edge, but also practical and useful for customers.
- 2+ years experience post graduation
- Strong background in electro-mechanical development (ex. Pumps, motors, PCBAs, Sensors, etc.)
- Are a structured problem solver: ability to create a test plan, produce documentation, and analysis
- Likes hands-on building of prototypes, product testing in the lab, developing and reporting.
- Able to leverage mechanical intuition to debug prototypes and field issues
- Want to build a precision tool that is beautiful inside and out
- Can prototype your own designs in our well equipped shop
- Programming skills Python or Matlab
- Have experience with the full product development cycle
- Expertise in material science
- Flexible vacation
- Premium healthcare coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.