Optical Engineering Intern (Summer 2023)
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
The Optical Engineering Intern will support the optics team in developing, optimizing, and validating optical systems architectures to create new 3D printing paradigms.
Internship Term: Summer 2023 (May/June - August)
Location: Onsite in Somerville, MA
Application Requirements: Portfolio optional.
- Provide support during optical system architecture development, component and system testing, validation, and integration.
- Design and build experimental test setups, including automation of data acquisition.
- Conduct hands-on lab experiments to collect and analyze optical data.
- Document and present results to the greater engineering team, and make recommendations for next-steps in system design.
- Are an enthusiastic student studying optical engineering, physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, or a similar degree, and are excited about tackling open-ended problems across engineering disciplines.
- Have a fundamental understanding of optics, and some experience working with optical sensors, actuators, electromechanical systems, lasers, and/or other optical systems.
- Have effective communications skills, including technical writing.
- Can autonomously research, report results, and make recommendations for next steps.
- Have experience with design of experiments (DOE) and data analysis.
- Have programming and scientific computing experience, ideally in Python.
- Familiarity with optical design software and CAD software is a plus.
Internships at Formlabs give students the opportunity to create, build, solve, and discover in every area of our business. Come build your career and build the future of 3D printing. Internship perks include social events, networking opportunities, access to our fully-stocked kitchens and onsite lunches, and unlimited 3D printing!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.