Principal Mechanical Engineer
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring ground-breaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer you will be defining and creating tools for people just like you. We’re excited to build devices that not only perform remarkably and create beautiful parts but also reflect careful user experience design. You will be architecting, prototyping, building, and designing the hardware systems of our next generation 3D printers. You will be responsible for key system decisions that affect the final performance and reliability of the products.
If you want to lead the design and create the tools you would love to use yourself, we want you to join our team as a Principal Mechanical Engineer.
- Push the capabilities of 3D printing machine development by creating innovative solutions to the most challenging problems
- Be a technical leader within a group of mechanical, systems and electrical engineers, designing, reviewing and guiding junior colleagues’ work and leading technical excellence
- Architect and design the numerous complex subsystems of a 3D printer for performance, manufacturability and reliability
- Prototype new systems, mechanisms, test materials, and research 3D printing challenges
- Work on cross disciplinary teams to provide an integrated machine design
- Engineer the highest performance and value 3D printers on the market
- Familiar with thermal systems, optical systems, sensor design, controllers, structures and algorithms
- Enjoy the gritty details of part design, material selection and manufacturing techniques
- Craft elegant systems that function with efficiency and simplicity
- Can communicate effectively with vendors and suppliers across the globe
- Are familiar with a variety of manufacturing methods for creating high-volume and high performance products
- Are hands-on and can work across disciplines to prototype your own designs and solve problems
- Have experience with the full product development cycle from concept through mass production
- 7+ years industry experience
- Machine design experience
- Industrial design
- Electronics, sensor and circuit design
- Programming skills (Python)
- Familiar with polymers and polymer chemistry
Our Perks & Benefits:
- Robust equity program to build future wealth through RSUs
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Low cost fund options in our 401K and access to advisors
- Generous paid Parental Leave (up to 16 weeks)
- Tenure-based paid Sabbatical Leave (up to 6 weeks)
- Flexible Out of Office Plan – Take time when you need it
- Ample on-site parking & pre-tax commuter benefits
- Healthy on-site lunches, snacks, beverages, & treats
- Regular sponsored professional development opportunities
- Many opt-in culture events across our diverse community
- And of course… unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.