Sustaining Engineering Manager
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Formlabs’ Sustaining Engineering team ensures that our products perform as intended in the field. We use customer data to provide insights into product quality, identify opportunities for performance or reliability improvement then design and implement those improvements across manufacturing process, software integration and hardware design.
The Sustaining Engineering manager acts as quality champion for Formlabs’ in-market products. Leveraging project management fundamentals and technical leadership skills, they are accountable for quality improvement initiatives including resource delegation and prioritization, project scheduling and cross-functional project leadership as well as establishing team performance metrics and reporting to management. Managers also cultivate relationships across teams including customer support, product management, manufacturing and design engineering.
If you enjoy a mix of technical leadership, problem solving, people management, strategic thinking and cross-discipline executive exposure, join our team today as a Sustaining Engineering Manager.
- Delve into the inner workings of Formlabs’ products to learn how they are designed, what goes wrong and how to fix it. Build expertise around printer function to inform reliability, cost, and quality enhancements.
- Leverage structured problem solving tool sets (Lean, Six Sigma, 8D, A3, etc.) to help root cause and solve field quality issues. Oversee the planning and execution of product improvement projects both within Sustaining Engineering and across hardware and software engineering teams
- Manage a team of electrical and mechanical engineers providing technical guidance, performance evaluation, and career growth
- Organize, prioritize, and coordinate Sustaining Engineering activities to boost individual contributor efficiency
- Build cross-functional relationships across Engineering disciplines to boost operational efficiency and enhance product quality
- Develop the Sustaining Engineering team at Formlabs
- Manage and communicate key performance indicators for team performance to product stakeholders and senior management
- Well versed in systematic problem solving techniques and able to apply them to troubleshoot and fix complex electro-mechanical systems
- Able to lead multidisciplinary project teams through technical projects driving data-backed decision making and engineering best practices
- Player-coach leadership style and able to clearly communicate expectations and evaluate performance
- Previous experience managing a team of engineers
- Ability to develop talent through 1:1 coaching, formal training, process improvements, and or performance management
- Strong focus on continuous improvement
- Exposure to project or program management
Our Perks & Benefits:
- Robust equity program to build future wealth through RSUs
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Low cost fund options in our 401K and access to advisors
- Generous paid Parental Leave (up to 16 weeks)
- Tenure-based paid Sabbatical Leave (up to 6 weeks)
- Flexible Out of Office Plan – Take time when you need it
- Ample on-site parking & pre-tax commuter benefits
- Healthy on-site lunches, snacks, beverages, & treats
- Regular sponsored professional development opportunities
- Many opt-in culture events across our diverse community
- And of course… unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.