Print Engine Hardware Architect
Location: Somerville, MA
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring ground-breaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
The print engine is the heart of the printer, composed of all the critical parts that make the printer print: the optical system, the resin tank film, the resin circulation system, and everything needed to be able to push and pull solidified parts into and out of the tank. Sitting at the intersection of mechanics, light, materials, and physics, the print engine directly impacts print speed, accuracy, and reliability, ensuring our customers get high-quality prints at an affordable price.
As a Print Engine Hardware Architect, you’ll work directly on the critical hardware of the 3D printing system. You’ll utilize your extensive experience spanning numerous disciplines to think big, simplify, and help create the next big thing in 3D printing!
Want to learn more about RD Engineering at Formlabs? Watch this short video from Timur Senguen, Validation Engineer
- Develop core print engine hardware architectures for 3D printers
- Work with cross-functional teams to bring print engine technologies from concept to production
- Focus on advanced research while following through with a mass-producible product implementation
- Propose and develop trade-off analysis of various print engine architecture options against various cost functions and/or optimization criteria
- Supplier development for enabling technologies
- Keep up with emerging technologies that can be leveraged for 3D printing
- Are a seasoned multi-disciplinary engineer or scientist with working knowledge across many engineering disciplines (e.g., physics, EE, MechE, optics, thermals)
- Can develop architecture options that meet product-level requirements, analyze system performance, and make recommendations based on various optimization criteria
- Develop simulation models at functional and physical levels that can accurately predict performance and can be validated through real-world measurements
- Think outside the box and come up with novel solutions to challenging problems
- Have the tenacity to convert an idea on paper to a shippable product
- Are an expert communicator who can articulate technical information verbally and on paper concisely
- Keep meticulous written records of ideas and experiments
Our Perks & Benefits:
- Robust equity program to build future wealth through RSUs
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Low cost fund options in our 401K and access to advisors
- Generous paid Parental Leave (up to 16 weeks)
- Tenure-based paid Sabbatical Leave (up to 6 weeks)
- Flexible Out of Office Plan – Take time when you need it
- Ample on-site parking & pre-tax commuter benefits
- Healthy on-site lunches, snacks, beverages, & treats
- Regular sponsored professional development opportunities
- Many opt-in culture events across our diverse community
- And of course… unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
To all recruitment agencies: Formlabs does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Formlabs employees or any other company location. Formlabs is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.