CAREERS AT FORMLABS
R&D Engineer - Optics
R&D Engineer - Optics
Location: Somerville, MA
When breaking new ground in an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our growing R&D Engineering team is a mix of mechanical, systems, electrical, optics, and software engineers. We are the mad scientists that develop and improve Formlabs products. Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research and product develop Formlabs next-generation printers and materials. We use engineering, physics, and experimentation to turn goop into beautiful and accurate parts.
Do you imagine how to make a complex optical system work better? Do you want to make something that hasn't been done before? We want you to join our team as an R&D Engineer - Optical.
- Create new 3D printing paradigms using novel optical mechanisms and computing techniques - from developing new optical systems architectures to optimizing and validating galvanometer control algorithms
- Design and run your experiments to inform and develop improvements in software or hardware
- Tackle complex and open-ended problems across multiple engineering disciplines
- Evaluate current printer performance and identify areas for improvement
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to implement improvements to current products such as redesigning a support structure algorithm based on experimental results, or implementing a camera vision system
- A mix of software and hardware skills
- Can autonomously research, report results, and make recommendations for next steps
- Have experience with design of experiments (DOE) and data analysis
- Have experience working with sensors, actuators, electromechanical systems, and optical systems
- Use research and experimentation as a means to move towards shippable products and features
- Understand programming and scientific computing, ideally Python or C++
- Flexible Vacation
- Premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision plans
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited 3D prints
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.